Friday, April 7, 2017

Plucked From The Butt

Day 32 Doxology: Tonight is a memory of bitter-sweet!  This time of year, my late father-n-law would watch The Masters from beginning to end.  I had a chance to attend this year's event and decline, not because I wouldn't enjoy it, but mainly because I wanted to partner with my old friend just one more year in the comfort of the living room.

My wife and daughters continually to remind that..."I have been plucked from the butt" of her dad, and their grand-dad.  In a sick short way, she married her dad!  After years with the man...I resolve, she could have done worse.

During the Masters (we called it Master's Weekend), we would watch the replay 'til it concluded -Approximately 10-10:30pm.  It was the only time he stayed up late.  We always watched it, and I was amazed that he knew so much about each golfer.  He knew their college, their previous year's ranking, their family situation, and whether or not they played with Shay (his son) in college.  He would have absolutely loved the coverage that we have today.  On Direct TV, I have this Mosaic of coverage that he would have absolutely been consumed with.  I can take a 70inch TV divide into quarters because of the Mosaic coverage and still have more coverage than he had all weekend.

So, like I said, this time of year is somewhat of a memorial.  As I watched the Masters I watched and listened.  All I could hear is my father-n-law root for the seasoned veterans.  This year Freddie Couples is doing well at age 56.  Which means Ol' Shelly is pulling for the ol' man.  If Freddie falters on the back-nine, then he will simple pull for anyone American.  I catch myself doing the same thing.

Here is the deal...If I have been plucked from the butt of someone that I catch myself admiring so much...then pluck away.  I could do way worse. I think this time of year will always be special...For me...I will have to decide is it because of what I've lost or what I've gained?  Either way...I have this uncontrollable desire to spend the final round of the Masters in my recliner in nothing but my underwear!


No comments: