Friday, January 23, 2015

Just in the Nick of Time!

Well, we are nearing the end of our churches 21 days of Prayer and Fast, and I've never felt better!  I can never forget that to gain is to lose.  What I've been reminded is to gain that greater connection to God that I so desperately needed, I had to disconnect from the world.  The last 20 days (soon to be 21) provided that opportunity for me.

My Tabernacle Prayers each morning were saturated with the faces of my congregation.  I caught myself envisioning where each family sat, but after a couple weeks of prayer I noticed something odd.  Each time I prayed for my friends and family...I noticed each person was smiling...was happy.  Now I don't have to tell you that the church isn't some Pollyanna world were everyone auditions as Stepford Wives.  We, the Church, attract the broken...Jesus attacks the broken.

The truth is I had forgotten how beautiful our congregation is while connected to God-my prayers reminded me!  I forgot how my vision for God's beauty is impaired while connected to the world.  For us to be the church, we have to learn to not think as the world thinks...for us to mend the broken memories of our past, we have to be connected to the one who created life.  Jesus speaks to us in a conversation with His disciples, "...Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life, will lose it, but whoever will lose their life for me will find it.  What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul?..." (Matthew 16:24-26)

For me and the ministry I share with my church and God...to start this new year with 21 days of Prayer and Fast came just in the nick of time! "May the Lord bless you and keep you."

No comments: