Saturday, January 24, 2015

Finishing Well

Day 21, whew!  I could think of several ways to celebrate the end of 21 days of Prayer and Fast.  I could end with a pork-ish breakfast complete with biscuits and gravy; maybe even chocolate syrup?  Or, I could end well.

For me ending well would be to complete the discipline I've gained over the past 21 days.  After all...isn't that what discipleship is about?  Discipleship is a process of growing in Christ...trying time and again to build on the disciplines that help me become more like Christ in every area of my life.  For me...it was living in the world and not being of the world.  I celebrate the last 21 days and kick myself for not doing it sooner.

So, with that said, to finish well means that I end it like I started -working out and eating well while engaging in some serious prayer.  This morning I celebrated the end of 21 days with 1 hour on the elliptical, after my morning prayers.  It's funny because next week is a clergy Prayer Summit at Camp Sumatanga -Monday thru Wednesday.  And, usually I treat it at a chance to get back to Spiritual Disciplines, however, this year I go into with a different perspective.  Instead it being a starting point, I am treating it as another way to finish well.

I pray that you have gained increased confidence in the way you are able to finish the race.  I am reminded of 1 Cor. 9:25, "Everyone who competes in the game goes into strict training.  They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever."  Life is not a sprint, I'm not sure it can be compared to a marathon...but one thing for certain, it is potentially timeless IF you finish well!  Well done thy good and faithful servant.

No comments: