Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Heebie Jeebies

Day 1 Doxology:  Another year of doxology discipline....and I can't think of another way to begin my 40 days of doxologies than with Ash Wednesday -a doxology within a doxology.  I worry if I can fully share my thoughts to relay how humble I feel to be a part of this growing Summit tradition.  However, I have to try.

After the Greeting, Scripture, Homily, Invitation To The Observation Of Lenten Discipline, Thanksgiving Over The Ashes, then Imposition of Ashes (Remember that you are dust, and to dust you shall return!) I returned next to my wife for a closing hymn. Looking at our Praise Team lead us in the final hymn, I couldn't help but notice the mark of Ash Wednesday on their foreheads.  I just felt so thankful that we would always be linked because of what we share and have shared together.  The same Christ that saves brought me to The Summit to love all over my Summit brothers and sisters.  How could I have experienced the last 5 years any other way?  I will never forget that picture, and so many others, that shares the essence of life within the church -Doxology Day 1a!

Day 1b Doxology:  As I stopped singing and soaked up every minute of what I was seeing...I looked down at my hands.  I was overwhelmed with compassion for my church family and God.  God, because He would trust me enough to represent Him to His people.  My church family, because they trusted me enough to share in this moment.

After our Ash Wednesday Service I spent some time talking with good friends.  We laughed together as "Sweet K" issued a Public Service Announcement: it was incredibly hard for her to let someone put anything on her face, let alone Ashes!  I laughed slightly and told her how impressed I was that she trusted me enough to receive her cross.  What I didn't share was I know exactly how she feels.

It is so hard for me, for a lack of better words, to have my hands dirty.  Before you point and yell "Pretty Boy," hear me out!  It's hard for me to imagine digging in dirt with just my hands...all I can think of is fingernails clawing in dirt.  Weird, I know but very real nevertheless!  So, to the doxology point...the common denominator is Jesus!

"Sweet K" was willing to fight through her heebie jeebies for some Jesus, and I was willing to fight through my heebie jeebies to share some Jesus!  So, I guess the doxology bottom line is boundaries can be overcome with some Jesus -a great lesson for the world if only they will listen!

No comments: