Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Playing Offense

 Day 1 Doxology:  I debated if I should blog this year as part of my Lenten Devotion.  I prayed all day about the thought of adding another something to an already busy schedule.  A schedule that full of surprises at every corner.  Then I started thinking...although I am still clergy, I have a role that matches all the laity that I have pastored over the years.  Each person I encouraged to do more, go farther, become more, and each responded with trust that I was helping them strengthen their discipleship journey.

November 2nd, I hung up my stole to become the Executive Director at Camp Sumatanga.  Since then I have felt as if I am drinking water through a fire hose.  Every day I am met with a task that immediately puts me on defense.  Defense wins championships, but it doesn't build a camp. I want to play offense!

It dawned on me while I was deciding to blog this year, the best offense I could provide is Spiritual self-care.  After all, what are Lenten disciplines intended to do?  It's not to lose some weight or deprive yourself of something you enjoy to go through your day in sadistic misery.  Lent is a time to prepare ourselves for Easter and a Lenten Discipline is how we get there. So, I'd say it's time for some offense.  

This sign is waiting for a home here at Camp.  It was created because there is a similar sign at the entrance to Pool Camp.  "Let no one say and say to your shame this was a place of beauty till you came."  I want to leave this Camp better than I found it!  It's not going to be a clergy person or a laity person that makes the difference.  It's going to be a person with great Spiritual strength...It's going to take a follower of Christ!

So yes!  I'm going to play offense all over this blog for this year's Lenten Discipline!  You like Apples?

No comments: