Friday, March 29, 2019

Train Up A Child

Day 21 Doxology:  For those that might not know...I am the father of three daughters and each has a name that starts with the letter J.  So, instead of playing the name game I call them J-1, J-2, or J-3.  So, with that being said, today's doxology came from out of state!  I travel north to J-2's new home in Tennessee for a wonderful surprise!


J-2 and her husband bought their home last summer and have been taking the necessary time to knock off project after project which is the newlywed way! I'm extremely proud of the work they've done.

When I drove up I immediately saw the fruits of their labor.  From the curb you could see that someone cared about their home's appearance.  There were new shrubs, bark, and ivy thoughtfully planted.  J-2 had spent hours building shrub bed outlined with white stones.  They had pressured washed the soffits, fascia boards, gutters, and side walk.  Inside she had replanted plants for decoration and purpose.  It was a great sense of pride for a father to see her so intentional about making her house a home!  It is a powerful doxology to share with you!


The Bible shares in Proverbs 22, "Train up a child the way you would have them to go and they will  not depart from it..."  I believe that!  I used to believe that only applied to discipline.  However, today the source of my expanded deddy-chest was the thought that all those years of replanting monkey grass, tilling and planting our garden, watering our pool-side hibiscus and hanging porch ferns was not wasted.  She didn't resent those things, but choose to incorporate them in her own home for her and her family.

They still have projects on the list, but they've checked several off already.  She and her sisters lived in the sawdust of every new project their entire childhood, and today I was convinced it wasn't for them the burden that I thought, but a blessing!  Maybe mom and I didn't mess things up...Train up a child the way you would have them to go...and one day they will make you the proudest dad in the world!  I love you baby!

No comments: