Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Love Regardless!

Day 29 Doxology:  Today's doxology is enough to make the most bold person misty-eyed.

Our very own IMS (Isom's Mission Society) ventured to Birdie Thornton Center for our annual service opportunity.  I cannot tell you what a blessing this brief time with the Birdie residents is for me.  Many of you know that I have cousins that are handicap and over the years I have grown to love what it is they teach me about myself and others!

At the center, our role is simple...have a great time!  That I can do, right!  We feed them a snack, sing to them and with them, all while a puppet show is being hi-lighted! Here is what has grown as a huge attraction over these 2 short years with my appointment with Isom's Chapel and our time with Birdie -Alabama Football!  It's silly to think about how attracted they have become to Alabama football.  In many ways, regardless of their handicap, they are no different than you or me!  Except maybe in one way -unconditional love!

If you don't love Alabama football it's not a deal breaker, if you love Auburn you still yell "Roll Tide" when prompted.  If you are an Alabama Fan, you yell "War Eagle" when prompted!  They seem to just love...regardless!  Like my cousins, they could teach us something about ourselves and others, don't you think?
They remind us that we were given a more simplified plan to the gospel?  I think that is what Jesus presented...the rich young ruler asked, what must I do, and we could all hear Jesus say, hang on!  It's crazy simpler than that...here is what I think you should remember..."Love God, and Love Neighbor!"  For the devout Jew this statement satisfied all the commandments, for both you and me it includes everything thing we need!  Love...regardless!

Every year with Birdie, our final song is Lee Greenwood, God Bless the USA.  It comes with a standing ovation, hand on heart, sung at the top of their voice.  They are proud Americans, could we learn something yet again?

I pray that I can love unconditionally like the residence of Birdie Thornton.  I pray I grow enough to care for my brother or sister and their love of their college's fight song enough to sing it with them.  I pray that at the end of the day, I can be united just like residents singing Lee Greenwood's "God Bless The USA!"  I pray, I can Love Regardless!  Praise Be to God!


No comments: