Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Action vs. Words


Day 6 Doxology: This is a special praise God moment for me.  At some point parenting changed and no one told me.  Lately it seems that I can seldom say the right thing.  Encouragement is perceived as sarcasm; discipline is taken as unfair, stuffy, out-of-touch, or even worse unloving. This morning I did something that felt so right.  I took J-2 to Huddle House for breakfast.  We slept in, got up late, and drove to eat breakfast then I checked her in late for school.  She got her usual-strawberry waffles with no whip cream and a side of hash browns.  I got anything pork with double hash browns.  We sat and laughed and tried to name the songs that were being drowned by breakfast conversation and Fox News from nearby.  What we didn’t discuss were chores, the future, stinkin’ boys, her hair, her make-up, her clothes, or anything that I might have thought she had done wrong.  As a result, I think we both savored every minute, and every bite.  It’s the first time in a long time, I felt like a father.  J-2 is a special daughter that I do not deserve…both she and God are worthy to be praised.  Today, different from other days, I taught by action and not by words.

No comments: