Saturday, March 22, 2014

Bug Eyes

Day 16 Doxology:  Today, I was able to watch the eyes of my children widen with amazement.  However, if it was the New Orleans French Quarter that widened their eyes…Honestly, I might be messing up.  For two girls that grew up in a rural city of 7,000, half way between I-65 and I-59, they really got a picture of the world today that they had not experienced before today (Praise God).

They walked in amazement.  They ate food they had only heard their mom and dad talk about; they saw people acting like they had never heard their mom and dad not talk about, and they saw expressions of an artistic culture they never knew existed.  I wondered what their thoughts were as they settled down for bed at the end of our day?











I also wondered if the excitement I felt I as I watched them experience the French Quarter…they felt in me as I ate Catfish tonight.  I have traveled many places, and I have sampled food from all over the world.  I had the distinct joy of growing up in the south where everyone ate catfish often.  Tonight was a first.  At a fishing camp on a pass between Lake Maurepas and Lake Pontchartrain, in Akers, LA, there is a restaurant called Middendorf's that produces the most amazing Fried Catfish.  This Fried Catfish was slithers of Catfish filets fried to a golden light brown.  It was cut so thin and fried so light that my eyes widen with amazement.  Later that night, as I sat in the stiff plastic chaired provided by the Hampton Inn after our meal, I recapped the day and had to laugh.

The teacher was taught a lesson.  I guess you’re never too old to be amazed about the world.  You might have experienced things that others never knew existed, but there is always more of life to experience.  The only stale life we experience…is the one we’ve created.  I cannot wait for tomorrow so that I can see more of God’s creation, and be amazed even more. 

No comments: