Friday, March 24, 2017

BEST Among Us!

Day 21 Doxology: Sometimes the hardest things we do as pastors is visit with people that are in transition from this world to the next. Today, I had one of those visits. Afterwards, I sat in my truck and prayed for our time.  I prayed that it might have been a blessing...for everyone!  I also found myself thinking of a class I had in seminary that focused on pastoral care and ministry with the dying. In particular a book entitled, "On Death and Dying," by Elizabeth Kubler-Ross. 

"On Death and Dying" dealt primarily with What The Dying Have To Teach, Doctors, Nurses, Clergy and Their Families.  Dr. Kubler-Ross' book, was born out of her life experiences, and reveals the human side to dealing with death. As I sat, prayed, and recapped parts of the book that were committed to memory, I thought about how much I praise God that there are some that have committed so much of their life to make the remaining days of other's so comfortable and peaceful.

We have a very good...NO, great ministry in our community called Shepherd's Cove, Hospice.  I have visited this place many times, and every time I visit I am reminded that they are some of the most thoughtful and important ministers I know.  Like Dr. Kubler-Ross, they roll their sleeves up and tackle the most difficult task among us...they minister to those that dying. Although, they admit their ministry is not about the dying as much as it is about the living! The depths of their love is unfathomable while they do not ignore the social and emotional experience of those dying or their loved ones.  They remind us all that we can still have dignity even in death.  They are some of the BEST among us!



No comments: