Friday, March 10, 2017

Without The Son

Day 9 Doxology: Like most Americans I enjoy Fridays.  I am a pastor, so really my Fridays are my Saturdays.  After the gym, I love coming home to coffee on our back deck for some wordless time alone on Friday mornings.  Occasionally, I'll turn on the TV to beat myself up by listening to what's going on in the world, but mostly I sit quietly.

Over the years the gifts that we've received are hanging around the parameter of our deck.  Some are making noise, some sway with the wind, others just hang still, but only one spins.  The wind spinning hangy-down thing on the corner of our deck is ingenious really.  I sit and stare at this wind-vane as if I'm hypnotized.  In the center is the cut out of a cross.  And every time it makes a revolution the light reflects off the layers of cut metal as if it's working toward the center highlighting the cross.

This is my thought as I watch this wind-vane spin...that would be nice by itself, but it's really is made spectacular because of the sun.  This morning the wind was blowing, and I noticed it there generically doing its normal stuff-spinning.  However, this evening, the suns was shining bright and the wind really made it spin.  You couldn't help but to watch the cross flash at you with every rotation.   The Sun made all the difference.

To carry that thought even further. The cross is just a cross without the Son.  It was Jesus that made the cross the Christian symbol for the centuries that followed.  It was the Son that made people instantly reflect on what happened on the cross for their own lives.  Without the Son, the cross is just pieces of wood that intersect in the center.  Like the cross, my life would be without purpose...Without The Son.

No comments: