Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Can A Dad Boast?

Day 7 Doxology: Can A Dad Boast?  Today's doxology is really...everyday's doxology for me.  Yesterday, I was amazed at the 2nd graders under Shannon's care, and I couldn't help but to think of how proud their parents must be. It made me  start to think about my own children, and then today I ran across this bookmark that they made for me one Father's Day years ago.  They have grown up so much since then.

I have a favorite age that I think back to often, and it makes me want to just wrap my arms around them and wrestle with them throughout the house like we use to.  Back then they would try and team up on me as soon as I walked in the door, sometimes hiding from me until..."SUPRISE!"  J-1 would act like she was reading to her sisters for hours.  J-2 would be falling and breaking things or need stitches.  J-3 would hide from us until we begged for her to come out.  Come to think of it J-2 and J-3 swopped those roles a lot.  All three were responsible for making it snow with a huge family size container of baby powder.  Each are special and unique in their own way.

One year for Christmas Santa Clause made a doll house.  After the season settled down, I made a beautiful 6 panel front door out of cedar for their new doll house.  After hours of detailed work, complete with brass hinges and door knocker, I said Jackie look at your new door.  She grabbed it, ran to her room, and it was never seen again.

A year or so later, J-2 was playing hide and seek, but she must have meant that it was hide and sleep, because she hide and fell asleep on top of the trundle under her bed.  Two parents and a grandmother franticly searched for the missing girl for way too long. And, just before I was ready to call for an Amber Alert, she was found...Bless her heart!

Then there was the time that J-3 was sitting on the 4 footboard of our bed hypnotized by the TV.  I came in the bedroom and told her not to sit on footboard or she could fall off and break her arm.  She climb down, I walk in the living room, and I heard...plump! She fell off the footboard and broke her arm.  Her jersey cow cast looked so cute for her birthday pictures as she was videoed making an impatient chicken sound -Baooooock!

Now they're all grown, and I am more proud of them than ever.  They've managed to grow into some of the most beautiful, funny, hard-working, heartfelt young Christian ladies that a dad could hope for.  Because of them, I have a hint of the depths of a Father's love?  It is the single best joy of my adult life...and it makes me to always strive to be and do better.  Can A Dad Boast?

No comments: