Wednesday, February 21, 2018

One More Back Flip

Day 7 Doxology: As in previous years, I hit a stride in my Lenten Devotionals where my heart bends to the family.  Yesterday's doxology made me continue the thought of realizing just how blessed we are as a family.

There is a picture on the top shelf in my office that when I look at it I immediately become transported to a special time in my life.  Everyone has heard me say, "Those are my favorite ages for my girls!"

As you can see, Jackie loves her deddy!  Also, she was this little ball of muscle and had so much trust in her father that she would try anything.  I taught her to do back-flips off the diving-board of our pool so well that I knew she was headed to the Olympics. One Sunday evening at her cousin's pool she hit her back, and her backward flips and Olympic career ended.  She had the diving-board rash. I told her, "You don't have to do another back-flip the rest of your life, but you do have to do one more before the sun goes down."

Before you call DHR...there is a strong lesson to be learned.  I watched her for about 30 mins wrestle with her fears.  She had to confront what scared her the most and determine if she was going to let her fears own her.  I soon watched her walk to the end of the board and attempt the final back-flip of her life.

How many of us are willing to internally push ourselves to figure out what we are made of?  We talk often about the greatest generation.  If you sit down and think about what they went through just to have food on the table, or to live one more day...I believe it would embarrass us when we get so upset because there is no wifi, or someone wouldn't return our call, or my email won't work.


My favorite family picture is this black and white picture of my girls favorite age...Our nation's best generation is only captured by black and white pictures.  What if we could pause the super-advances for a bit...just to let our families catch up with each other? let us bring back the thing that made our greatest generation great!  It would be worth one more back-flip!

No comments: