Thursday, February 15, 2018

Prepared As A Boy Scout!

Day 2 Doxology:  Hmmm!  God has really been speaking to me today through my awareness of this year's Lenten devotional!  I'm scared that my voice might be louder than God's...or at least, I am only in-tuned to my voice more than God's thunder...hence, Lent is super important!

I was contacted the other day by our "Scout Liaison."  A position that our church deems important to communicate the needs of the church to and from our "Scouts Ministry!"   A ministry that is booming!  Let me take the opportunity here to say that we have the best Scouting Ministry ever!   They are always doing everything that I wished I had done when I was their age!

Here is my "doxology"!

Our liaison was quick to contact me to notify that one of our "Scout Leader" had difficulty hooking up the trailer for their next scout-outing event.  Which translated as "they got stuck!"

We are a suburb of Huntsville...the land of engineers!  Anyone that has ever planned anything knows that "stuff" happens!  You can plan until the cows come home, but when it rains enough that it becomes a toad-strangler...the eco-system becomes out-of-whack!  That's right you get stuck!  And, in Limestone County...red clay is the worse!

Here's the deal -somewhat delayed!

You can be as prepared as a "Boy Scout" and still "things" don't go as planned!

We have the blessing of storing the "Scout" tailer on our campus waiting to make a difference in someone's life!  When it came time to have a Scouting over-night...the rain dictated the plans.  Well prepared "Scout Leaders" did what they always do and realized there was a problem -no fault of their own!

The reality is....you can prepare for everything in your life!  However, the greatest gift you might have is to adapt!   Life is proven to be crazy-difficult...can you deal with cancer, death, life, or not getting your way?

The second message of this doxology is that ministry is messy!


In my image, there are tracks left by those that tried to free the trailer, but as you can tell..they were unsuccessful!   At the end of the day....ministry is messy!  There will often be tracks of our work, however it they might be incomplete! There is going to be red mud that you cannot get rid of!  It cannot hide the fact that you didn't complete your goal, but... it will allow you to see just how far you've come!

My prayer for this coming Lenten Season is that we stop looking back...And, that we quit looking at the tracks, but give thanks for the rain as we look ahead toward the future and make sure that the tracts we leave behind align with God's future for our church!

At the end of the day...you can be prepared as a Boy-Scout, but life still happens!  However, you deal with change makes all the difference in the world!

God is good...."all the time"!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

"ministry is messy", I needed to see that today. May I look forward, focusing on the future instead of the tracks in the scared ground. Thank you Tony and Glory be to God

T Jones said...

Bless You Tammy and all the "Great" work you are doing for the kingdom of God!!

Unknown said...

LOOKING FORWARD TO EACH POST....