Friday, February 23, 2018

Smack!

Day 9 Doxology: I was watching the Olympics this evening, and I had to laugh at today's doxology!  For you to join me with your own snicker, I'd need to give you some background!

My father-n-law, Bill Shelnutt...a.k.a. "The Great One" loved the Olympics!   The summer Olympics were his favorite by far!  Although he has passed away, his legacy continues.  He could watch hours of Olympic coverage as if watching the Olympics were its own medal event.  And, he typically watched event after event in only his underwear, or at best coaching shorts, with the top button undone!  It's so funny the things you remember-or maybe not?

My most vivid memory is "The Great One" shirtless and unbutton coaching shorts (folded down) watching the summer Olympics raising and dropping the T.V. remote on to his bare protruding belly...making this "smack" sound that filled the room!  He was so proud of the sound that he would look at you like he was expecting you to clap or at least cheer!  He always did it 3 times in a row before he said something outlandish -OCD anyone?

Tonight, I found myself channeling ol' Shelly.  I was sitting in my chair, watching the Olympics, and before I knew it I had raised and dropped the remote.  Although, it didn't make the same sound, and my belly wasn't as large (A doxology of its own)...I did feel really close to someone that I love and miss!

Maybe the largest reason it didn't "smack" had nothing to do with the size of my girth, but because I had on clothes...but after all, it is the winter Olympics!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How sweet! It is amazing what we remember. But we do know he loved the Olympics.