Monday, February 22, 2016

"Abide in me..."

Day 12 Doxology: Today's doxology seems like a bit of an exercise in futility. Let me start with these words that came to me when I heard horrible news from a friend..."Abide in me....and I will abide in you."  Remarkably, my memory recall of this verse was in the KJV.   The horrific words were a friends daughter, while at college in another state, was raped.  Words cannot describe the pain the family is feeling.

I am the father of 3 daughters, and I have a hard time with these words.  It's one of my biggest fears as a father.  Hearing this story...I actually have a hard time with the thought of forgiveness which is the bedrock of my faith.  How could I forgive if this was our story?

I do not have a picture...I don't want a picture!

What I do have...are these words that God gave me the moment I was told of this horrific incident..."Abide in me....and I will abide in you."  It moved me to the point to prompt a deeper review of the word "abide".

"Abide" translates to the word "menō" which means "to remain".  If you were asked to "remain" in something you were once there...once a part of something. If you are asked to remain a part of something you haven't left.  It is like John is reminding us...God wants us to stay connected and please don't severe that relationship.

The second definition of menō is "to wait for".  Which seems to be a reminder to stay connected and although you cannot feel my presence in the midst of your pain..."wait for it"... it will be coming soon and I will ease your pain.

These are God's words breathed into me in the moment, and I pray that my friend and his wife can feel God's breath in the midst of this pain?  "Abide in me....and I will abide in you."  I pray they can hear those words.

No comments: