Tuesday, February 23, 2016

I Messed Up...

Day 12 Doxology:  That's right...if you're keeping score it really is "Day 12 Doxology"  and, not Day 13!  And, if you're keeping score...you noticed that I missed the "Day 5 Doxology"!  How could I?

I think it's ironic that I would make a mistake while trying to connect and follow God.  Resting in that irony for a moment...do you think that mimics the church, and not only the church, but the people that make up the church?

I mentioned in my message this weekend that people outside the church look at the church sometimes as hypocrites.  If that is the case, then guess...I have been a hypocrite Day 6 - Day 12 of these Holy "Praise to God" moments!  The one thing that I am confident in, is that those closest to me know that following God and making mistakes is synonymous.  And, in that imperfection I am made perfect in His image because of what He did through Christ.

That's right...If you've messed up, our church is here!  If you tried to follow God and messed up...our church is here!  If you accepted Christ as your Lord and then you messed up...God is present to welcome you back to your place of perfection!

How about this...what if the church's role was to lift up those that failed on third discipleship endeavors?  What if instead of pointing fingers we could feel the convictions of our own misgivings and learn to love?  What if we could do things different from the past and point everyone we meet to Christ and His love for the church?  Ephesians 5 gives us a two-fold reminder.  One, Husbands are to REALLY love their wives as Christ loves.  They are to love them so much that they are to mimic Christ's love for the church.  Two, Christ loved the church in a huge sacrificial love.

Serving the church today, I am concerned if Christians love the church anymore.  They have been hurt or witnessed Christians making mistakes when they claimed perfection.  Let me remind you, Christ is the only perfect human to have walked this earth.

So, if you've been worn out by the church or disillusioned by other Christians...Christ loves the church and just maybe so should you too.  I really want to minister with you to our community!

I'm sorry, but I messed up...do I qualify?

No comments: