Thursday, February 11, 2016

Who Strengthened Your Calling?

Day 2 Doxology:  Well, I haven't heard from any parishioners worried about my caloric intake from yesterday's blog.  I get it!

Today's 2nd Lenten Doxology is no surprise and can be summed up in one word...Shannon!  I was fortunate enough to visit my wife at school (her work) for a "Talent Day" that she organized for OMS -Oneonta Middle School!  I watched as tomorrow's potiental leaders shared a talent they have or thought they have.  A time not without humor...Sorry, I mean joy.

While I was watching these middle school age sons and daughters I thought about my wife's ability to support their growth.  In my memory...I couldn't help but to think about growth in life -mine and yours. You are you because someone poured into you and strengthened you at just the right time of your maturity process -I believe nothing is more complex than the timing of our maturity!  Through this process adults are learning to guide with humor, honor, and integrity our youth while never taking themselves too serious at any one point...it's an art...it's a CALLING!

I remember my calling narrative.  At a special moment in my three daughters, mortgage-filled life I told my wife that I was called to Seminary, and her on response without pause was..."well, then that is what we'll do."  I hang on to those words every day...the moment God's calling was given feet!  Let me pause to say, both God and Shannon are my strength in life! Which leads me to today's doxology...who strengthened your calling?  Who in the church will stand in the gaps for our children -tomorrow's hope-and guide, protect, humor, honor, and love with integrity them?  There is no greater calling than to sacrificially guide and support another!  That means you become a part of their narrative.

Who strengthened your calling; whose calling are you called to strengthen?

No comments: