Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Double Vision

Day 13 Doxology: I apologize for missing Day 12.  However, like all Lenten disciplines when you get sidetrack you receive Grace and start over the next day a lot like today's doxology.  Grace please?

Today's doxology is a bit reflective about everyday life -past, present, and future.  This morning after my 5am workout, I returned home and went straight to the hot tub.  I like to sit in the hot tub in part because it feels great, but a large reason is because I like to brag to Shannon throughout the week knowing she misses it so much!  Ahhhh, the love of a husband.

Back on track...this morning while I sat in the hot tub and marveled at the very dense fog all around. I really felt like I was in another place, or better yet, experiencing something spiritually new. It's difficult to explain, but it was so spiritually mysterious that I knew that although it was early in my day it would likely trump many of the God moments I would experience later (except meeting J-1 tonight coming in from San Antonio).  But, this morning's scenery wasn't all of it.

When I tried to take a picture to share with you, I was surprised at what I would find.  With each picture, the image was distorted because my flash was on.  At first, I thought I was taking a picture of the steam rising from the hot tub or shaking as I snapped the shutter on my camera.  When I got out and closed the cover the pictures were not any better.  I still couldn't capture the true image of the morning until I turned of my flash.  Afterwards, I realized that with the flash my camera was taking a picture of the moisture droplets of the fog that was swirling around me unnoticed. I've included both pictures.

It dawned on me that we can go through life with multiple visions.  We can choose to see only the obvious.  In a distance life looks normal, peaceful, even mysterious, but close to the heart there is this very active part of life that swirls all around us.  Which image do we consider to be more accurate; which image do we pay attention to?  I believe we need them both.

When life gets too difficult and our hearts grieve and crave something peaceful and majestic find a way to satisfy your craving by focusing on the big picture -search for the spiritual.  Conversely, when you get so consumed and hypnotized with stuff that seems so far away possibly even unobtainable know that there are forces at work, very energetic forces, swirling right under your nose.

I believe people that do life well have balance of both, because life is what happens while you are making plans!  I pray you can find your way through life with double vision.  You like apples?

No comments: