Tuesday, March 3, 2020

What About You?

Day 6 Doxology: Every year about this time this picture, or better yet this day, turns out to be my day's doxology.  You might get bored with this doxology because of all the "voter selfies" that pile up on Facebook.  So, when you see today's picture you might just move on to something else.  But, I've kept it short...So, hang around a second.

I think we forget why this day is such a "praise God moment" for our nation and ourselves as citizens.    I didn't think about it when I took the picture, but looking back I was reminded about several who raised their ink stained forefinger proudly to show the world they had a voice.  Also, I was reminded about the 2010 Afghan election where the Taliban sent word the night before that they would cut off every finger that was marked with the indelible ink.

Here at home, all we have to do is go locally, show our photo I.D., color in some circles, then feed a machine with our hopes and dreams.  It might be our greatest act as a citizen.  In contrast, it might be our biggest failure if we shrug it off and think it doesn't matter.  For me it matters...what about you?

I'll admit what is really at the center of today's doxology.  I had to drive just under 2 hrs in the rain to get to my voting precinct...did I say it was in the rain most of which was on a two-lane road behind an 18 wheeler safely driving under the speed limit?  So, when I was handed my sticker I said a little "praise God" under my breath and had this sense of enormous satisfaction.  Look, I realize it's not an ink stained finger, but in my own way it makes me just as proud.  What about you?

No comments: