Thursday, March 12, 2020

I Choose Hope

Day 14 Doxology: How many times have you washed your hands today?  How many times have you thought about washing your hands today?  For the life of me my eyes have never needed rubbing like they have these last several days. The world in which we live has changed.

I am one of those that like listening to talk radio while I drive, and I can't tell you how many times the radio conversation was interrupted by "Breaking News" to report.  New York has issued a state of emergency.  As of 2 hrs ago the Big 10, SEC, and ACC have cancelled their conference championship tournament.  Heck, the Big East cancelled their tourney at half-time.

President Trump has cancelled flights from Europe, issued plans to offer tax relief for workers, and stimulus help for businesses.  Biden has offered his criticism and plan as well as Sanders. MSN, CNN, The Washington Post, Forbes, and Fox have all offered bias reports of everyone involved.

Everyone with a camera, microphone, computer, or typewriter are issuing their opinions in the name of public safety (Including myself).  And the public...we are knee-jerking with great cause.  We are being told the sky is falling and for several families that have already felt premature loss of life it is or has already.  Even the stock market has responded with a "storm the castle" approach.  Today's record loss hasn't been felt since "Black Monday," 1987.  Enough Please!

Through the smoke, I am reminded of the message that Jeremiah tried to relay to those that were in exile: "Build houses and settle down; plant gardens and eat what they produce.  Marry and have sons and daughters; find wives for your sons and give your daughters in marriage, so that they too might have sons and daughters.  Increase in number there; do not decrease.  Also seek the peace and prosperity in the city to which I have carried you into exile."  A few verses later Jeremiah shares this, "Don't let the prophets and diviners among you deceive you."

I like this scripture mainly because I am reminded that God knows how we feel and is offering us hope.  We can feel exiled in a distant land, or we can feel like an exile in our own home.  Regardless where we find ourselves, the feeling is real.  However, God through Jeremiah offers us a reminder that exile is temporary.  He reminds them, and us, that life is to be lived...It won't always be like this.  So, that's enough for me!  I choose hope...even in the midst of my exile regardless of what day it is or which color they use to describe it.

No comments: