Thursday, April 10, 2014

Clear Memories

Day 32 Doxology: Many times we advance in years and the memories of people that God placed in our life fades.  The details of their face loses sharpness.  But…sometimes there are some that have meant so much you, and your family, that their memory could never be taken from you.

When Shannon and I began our married life together we knew that one of the first things we would do would be to find a church home.  Little did we know the impact that family would have on our lives.

15 years later, when I decided to get a Masters in Divinity (Mdiv) and enter into the pulpit, they made sure that my family was taken care of.  The Men's Club of Lester Memorial helped us financial, Spiritually, and physically making sure they were to be Christ to the Jones.  We love each and everyone of them.

I was able to spend time with them tonight.  Every Spring there is an annual Men's Club campout.  It is held in the campgrounds at Guntersville State Park.  Each year there's golf, fishing, eating, and a lot of laughter.  It is a time of digging up old stories and old memories that are as unforgettable as their faces.  These guys are Christ to me.

Being with them tonight made me think about my investment in others.  Get this…when I Baptize someone these men are present.  When I serve Holy Communion these men are in attendance.  They are a part of everything I do, because they invested in me.  Without them, I could have never left my family every week to attend graduate school in Atlanta and focus on God's calling.  Am I investing in others the way they invested in me?  Are you?  Their memories will never fade.

No comments: