Thursday, April 3, 2014

The Best Avocado Ever!

Day 26 Doxology: Let me tell you about the funniest luncheon that I have had in years…it was Chinese if you're wondering.

Today, I had lunch with some "district peeps" and it was amazing.  I know of a Chinese buffet that serves some better than average sushi.  Which means in code…I won't die from eating raw fish or crab in large quantity, but the rest of the bullet is amazing.  Even if I am a sushi fan, I'll settle for the buffet if it won't kill me (Have you seen me?).

What made today so funny was some of Blount County's favorite.  Deep from the hilly woods of Blount County came a family that brought me so much joy that I can't share the amount of food that I gave up on because of laughing.  It even started the most amazing conversation.

A lady (not talking about age) adorn with every bracelet and ring she owned, her favorite camouflage shirt, her biggest hair garnered my attention with a yelp.  Her beef, when she demanded my attention, was chased immediately by a hot cup of coffee.  First of all, I love coffee more than most, and I have yet to eat Chinese food with a huge cup of my blackest best.  I immediately thought what was she thinking…who does that? Then I heard her cry…"That is the hottest avocado I've ever ate!"
I glanced at the lady at the table next to mine, and thought Avocado (it's still not registering)?  However, I had a lot of distractions on the plate in front of me...(Have you seen me?).  Without further delay, here's the deal.

When the lady commented to the people on her table, I started thinking.  I started watching the people eating at the table with the deep wooded "Blount Countian," and they were laughing uncontrollably.  And, I'll admit, I'm usually pretty quick but I felt the answer slowly flood my body, from my head to my toes, and an immediate grin overcome me. What she thought was avocado (or guacamole dip) was wasabi.  And in her love of avocado (guacamole dip) she had a double heaping of the hottest sauce on the buffet.  I immediately started thinking about the way my overindulgence of wasabi would take my breath and water my eyes, and then I would add more soy sauce to tone it down.  I...bet…she…was…on...fire.  And, to chase her wasabi with coffee seemed less than pleasurable (for her, anyway).

And, or course the usual connection is to our church…How many of us act on our own confidence and find that our actions have left us with watery eyes and a less than pleasurable palate?   We all make mistakes, and in our mistakes..thank God for grace…but…what about our next decision?  Can we learn to evaluate our choices and then make the more enjoyable decision?  Wasabi with soy is amazing with fresh sushi and ginger…maybe life is a combination of "correct" choices that gives us the "best" pleasure in life.

I wished you could have seen her…she was on fire!

No comments: