Friday, April 11, 2014

When First Isn't First

Day 33 Doxology:  We are near the end of our Lenten doxologies, but before we come to a close, I have a doxology that includes J-3.  For those of you who are keeping score, this should make you very happy.  Although, it wasn't that I caved to pressure…in the words of E.F. Hutton, She earned it.

Tonight J-3 was at a local track meet where she was required to run in the 300m hurdles.  This is her first year to compete in the hurdles, and I have to say she has done pretty well not to have been instructed regarding the technique.

After a discouraging 100m hurdles, she set out to have a better showing in the 300m…and a better showing indeed.

As parents, we often wonder what kind of character our child will display when tested.  We hope that they will rise to the occasion and deliver that baby, colt, or calf without hesitation.  Really?  Really, I just would hope they would call someone to deliver that baby, colt, or calf without shying away from the need.

Tonight J-3 was tested, and I have to say, She smoked it!  She competed at a high level, but with compassion.  After crossing the finish line in first place, she realized that a fellow competitor had fallen on one of the hurdles.  J-3 turned around and went back to help her competition then jogged across the finish line with her.

I think competition is important, but the older I get the more I realize our greatest victory might come from our willingness to come in first and last.  I don't deserve J-3, but do we ever really get what we deserve?  Praise God for the moment that I can raise her arm in victory, not for her place, but for her stance in life.  A teared up father says, Amen!




No comments: