Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Checks and Balances

Day 36 Doxology:  Tonight was an education in civic doxology.  Our small city is haven't a not-so-small disagreement about funding for our city school system-a school system that has always excelled more than their means.

There is one group that wants more city...including more resources and funding for civic structures and systems-important! There is another group that feels like the city is moving forward without any budgeting concern for the city school's needs in constant cycle of state funding decreases-important! Both sides are worth being heard.

So, tonight's doxology is NOT an exercise in futility.  Tonight, I went and listened.  Instead of getting mad, getting defensive, talking down, or making sure everyone knew that my feelings were hurt...I listened.  In listening, I promised myself that I would become better informed in the future.  That to date...I had been uninformed and absent in the system of checks and balances which makes our system greater than any other.

Our system of government is made great because we can listen and talk-checks and balances.  It is this greatness that makes the world jealous and angry.  What is not great is when our adults act like the children that we are claiming to stand in the trench for...not cool!  However, politics is not cool according to Christ-something to consider.

In contrast, Anything worth having is worth fighting for.  Just a few dates to remember...1776, 1918, and 1945, but how long will God support our cause?  Maybe the better questions is how long will God support our personal causes?

I wonder do we consider God's guidance on every level of our life?  In my experience, we want a change of circumstances and not ask God to change our whole life -that means giving up control.  God is a God of life changes!  Paint that on an overpass!

With all that said, my doxology initially was the moment I left the adults standing firm on the side for or against whatever, but that changed the moment I got home.  When I got home the fight became personal! When I got home, my daughter decided to surprise her parents by cleaning her room-stop the press!  I joke, but if you read yesterday's blog then you know the burden of a parent and the egg shells that are scattered throughout the house.  I stink as a parent...until tonight!

Tonight, after a clean room, I sent a single text to my daughter-"I Love You!"  If you have a child at college, then I encourage you to send a simple text that says..."I love you!"  Three words that can break all barriers.  Three words that adults and city council members could stand to hear..."I Love You!"-checks and balances for sure!


No comments: