Tuesday, March 1, 2016

God's Got "This!"

Day 18 Doxology: Another daughter doxology but of different sorts.  Today, I voted with J-1.  The first of the "J's",  and magically, because of her raising, she felt that voting was important enough to come home for the evening to drive back to Tuscaloosa early for a morning class.  I cooked her breakfast then took her to our polling station to show her off like a shiny new penny.  I introduced her to all of the regular volunteers, and I watched face glow red as I introduced her by name while being the loudest person in the room -Oops!  We voted then proudly displayed our stickers for our patriotic selfie for each of you.  I am so proud!

That would have been enough for my daily doxology, but there was a deeper lesson for me.  Yes, I voted, but it wasn't as easy as one might think.  Last night I started thinking about who I would vote for and the reason why.  After it was clear, I hadn't progressed in my thought, I started asking..."Ok, who am I not going to vote for?"  This seesaw type of thought went deep into the night, and was still unresolved this morning.

My dilemma consistently carried me back to the prophets of Israel proclaiming God's warning to friend and foe. Reminding them that because they had turned from God they would be cast into exile...in other words, here comes the Babylonians!  The proclamation was for a Holy leader with a heart for God and God's people.  Shouldn't that be our proclamation as well?

To complicate my story more...I am pastor.  In many ways I should set the precedent for the people that God has trusted me with (Sorry for the preposition at the end of my sentence).  So, my thoughts excelled to...should I have taught more; should I emphasize this message this time of year more; does my flock believe casting votes for a person of faith is important?  America is incredible, and certain candidates would seem good for America, but is...America our primary focus or God?  Before you doubt my patriotism...I love America, and hopefully my wife and I have instilled that ideology in my children and indirectly their children!

My doxology...After I spent all night and most of the morning fretting over God's will for you, me, and America...Shannon read aloud Diane's Day 18 Doxology in our Church's Lenten Devotional, and immediately my heart was at ease.

She reminded us that worry is prevalent but not necessary.  She cited Matthew 6:25-34 where Jesus said, "Don't worry...tomorrow will worry about itself." The timing of the her doxology was not planned, it was not an accident, it was not a coincidence, it was today's doxology so that I would pause then praise God to remind us all that God's got this...whatever "this" is!

No comments: