Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Imagined Imagery

Day 18 Doxology: I know how much you love waiting to see what today's image will be that reflects my day's doxology...So, let me begin by NOT apologizing for what I am about to NOT share.  You will have to imagine today's doxology.

Tonight I joined members of my church and members from other churches in my community in an extended period of praise through song, word, prayer, and Sacrament.  I was asked to help serve Holy Communion, and though Holy Communion is always special...tonight, it was more special than usual.

The line was near it's end when a 3 member family (a mom, a dad, and a special needs son) came from a different direction to receive.  The mom, humbly received the "Body (bread)" and reverently dipped it in the "Blood (juice)".  Then watching the mom, she instinctually put the juice-soaked bread in her mouth then pulled out a morsel to feed her son.  She placed Jesus just inside his lips to be gobbled up.  I was overwhelmed with gratitude for witnessing this moment.

How many times have I served Communion?  How many times have I received Communion?  Tonight God, through the nurturing love of a mom, gave me an understanding of Holy Communion in a way I've never imagine possible.  I will draw on that imagery for years to come.

In a way...in a large way, God softens Communion for us.  I fear if we were tried to partake of Holy Communion in its true measure...it might be more than we can handle -too much "body"; more than we can chew.  Too much "blood"; we might get choked.  The consistency has to be just right for our palette!  And who would know that consistency best...only a mom; only a Father!

So, tonight I only offer this imagined imagery for you to chew on...I pray Holy Communion becomes more special than ever for you this Easter.

No comments: