Tuesday, March 31, 2015

The Big Picture

Day 35 Doxology:  Mondays start early for me at the district office for a Bible study of the Mountain Lakes District's pastors led by our district superintendent.  Today, although my family's spring break, was no different.  Then it was spent with the Boaz Ministerial Association with a Holy Week Service. Not important, other than I had a lot of chances for huge doxology moments...but there was only one that trumped them all!

We (parents) hope and pray that our children hitch their wagon to the faith in which they were raised. Even if we do not have everything about our faith worked out...we somehow feel that their believing will be better for them than not believing...and we all want the best for our children.  Today's doxology is a proud moment for me even if it began several years ago.

In 2007, or 2008, I was asked to lead the youth of the Mountain Lakes District in a mini-game filled afternoon for a District Training Retreat at Camp Sumatanga.   I had prepared several game-type competitions that had made our own youth program a success, but there was one thing that I didn't realize would pay huge dividends.

J-2 can paint.  So, I asked her to paint a huge painting of our denomination's "Cross and Flames" for the event.  My plans were to have all of the youth sign their name and their favorite scripture for permanent art for the district office.  The picture was a huge success for more than one reason.

Since it hangs in the district office, and I see it often..today, it somehow struck me as a praise to God moment not just for the history of it, but also for the future.  My thoughts were maybe at the time of the event my girls might have been accepting the faith of their parents offered to them as a gift.  After our Bible study, like times in the past, I found each of my girls signature and scripture and I paused and prayed for each.  It's a great moment, and never gets old.

I think their scriptures are worth sharing...

Neh. 8:10, Nehemiah said, "Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks, and send some to those who those who have nothing prepared.  This is holy to our Lord.  Do not grieve, for the joy of the LORD is your strength.

Jer. 29:11, For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Gen. 8:21, The LORD smelled the pleasing aroma and said in his heart, Never again will I curse the ground because of humans, even though every inclinations of the human heart is evil from childhood.  And never again will I destroy all living creatures, as I have done.

For whatever the reason, to me these pictures are meaningful and exempts of their hope and understanding for the faith they are processing at that time.  It is the beginning of the faith of their parents becoming their own.  It is smaller images of a much larger picture!  Praise be to God!

No comments: