Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Porch Doxology

Day 30 Doxology:  Today's thought is still a focus on the family.  Maybe it's because my family is becoming excited about Spring Break next week...maybe it's because the families in the church that I serve are excited that it is their Spring Break this week...maybe, just maybe it's because I am officiating a wedding this coming Saturday.  Regardless why, family is the focus!

It's funny how I get crazy because my family doesn't value the same things I was made (or inspired) to value a child.  I'm not going to share an itemized list, because my family is tired of hearing it!  But, I will say it is a great list!

Regardless of why something, or what, makes the list...it is of importance to me.  Regardless of my negativity...I have to admit that, as a family, we do some things that even my mom or dad would rate important.  They would be things that we do well that would make my mom and dad's list of family doxologies.

For instance, we gather in the sun on the porch. Our porch is a sacred place.  It is a place that I work on sailing knots; it is where our Hot Tub rest; it is where I chew on my daughters when they've done something bonehead; it is a place where I watch Shannon doze off to sleep; it's where we watch T.V.; and it's where I read and prepare for sermons.  My daughters will look back on our porch as a place where "family" happens.

The cool thing is it's not just temperature specific...meaning, we extend the life of "the porch" by putting up plastic walls for the cool parts of the year.  It's sacred, right, so you do your best to exalt it or treat it as such!  The family is worth it!

I think today our families forget the importance of "the family!"  We have fathers do stupid teenager stuff.  We have mothers...acting like they are cast for the movie "Mean Girls".  Sometimes I wonder if  life is so easy that we do not bond as a family...we take family for granted.  We charge more than we should...we go out to eat more than we should...we live in a house better than we should, and we do all of these thinking that it will make our family better!  Wow!  Why don't we just invest all that money, energy, and time in our families?

Why don't we just make our porch fit our families?  Today's doxology is our family's back porch...it where life happens, and where it happens more abundantly.  Here are a few pictures of ours.
        

No comments: