Monday, March 12, 2018

Facade

Day 23 Doxology:  Well, if you're doing the math then you know that I took Saturday off.  I'm sure by now you realize that God is still in the business of praise, I just was too tired to have eyes to see all around me!  But, I'm back!

Today, I travelled to Hartselle to visit with a church member that had moved in with her family when I ran across this extravagant gate entrance.  I thought to myself, probably the same thing everyone else thought...What is on the inside of that gate?

It made me think of the word facade.

What pretense did the enormity of this gate entrance communicate in the middle of nowhere-Alabama?   When I got home the exuberance of the gate was still on my mind, and then it dawned on me..."Google it!"  I went online and clicked on the satellite image, and to my surprise there was nothing down the road.  There was no large business district to match the luxurious gate entrance that had attracted each passerby.

So, what's the point?

Today's family is more taxed than ever to hold the family together.  There is more wealth, more technology, less time, and less communication to break down the characteristics of family health!   Moms and dads are forced to work more and more to maintain a lifestyle that doesn't contribute anything to family health!  We purchase facades of cars, houses, clothing, phones, and just stuff that impresses absolutely no one!  Other families are so self-consumed that they don't even care when you buy a truck that cost more than my first home because a 97 month vehicle loan is now the new norm!  If you can afford it then get it, but if you cannot don't stretch yourself.  Proverbs 22:7 warns us "...the borrower is a slave to the lender."

Where does it end?

1 Cor. 10:13 reminds us, "No temptation has overcome you that is not common to man.  God is faithful, and He will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptations he will provide the way of escape, that you will be able to endure it."

It ends where it started..."I am the Alpha and Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end."

It's time the family overcomes the facades of life...but with God's help!

No comments: