Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Seasoning of Your Life

Day 30 Doxology:  Holy cow!  So much has happened in my absence.  At the top of that list is "Life!" Go Figure!  I think today's doxology is something that has been on my heart for a while.

This is what has been on my mind...

My brother-in-law had a large iron skillet that he found in the dirt.  It was rusted and corroded to the point that it couldn't be used for cooking anymore.  He and his wife were going to throw it away when Shannon said, "Tony will fix it!  He can re-season it so that you can use it the way it is intended"

She brought it home, and I started to remove the past and raise up the future!

So, over the past couple of days, I have been thinking about cooking with my iron skillets.  I was telling Shannon, "There is something spiritual about cooking with my iron skillets."  To cook with an iron skillet takes time.   You have to season it then take time to clean it properly and not just throw it in the dishwasher.  There becomes a deep connection.  Our greatest deficiency in cooking with iron skillets like our grandparents is that we don't use them enough.

A really cool part of the iron skillet connection comes from previous generations.  In fact, the best iron skillets come from not your mom, but your grandmother.  Generations of cooking makes your iron skillet cook better than the best of today's new technology - Teflon whatcha-ma-call-it!

This is a great metaphor for life?  God takes what we think is worthless and ready for discarding only to re-season it for His glory!  That makes me think of the song, "He Makes All things New..."  Wow, allergies really prevented me form singing that song!  Let's just go with the scripture that comes to mind, "Therefor, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creations, the old has gone, and the new has come."  (1 Cor. 5:17)

So, what is it that you are rushing through life trying to achieve without thought to what is being unused?  Are you taking the time to have a deeper connection in the simplest of actions?  And, what are you working on that you are willing to hand down to the generations that follow?

I think if you are doing these things then you understand the real "seasoning" of your life!

No comments: